viernes, 19 de agosto de 2011

Starting our school corner



This week I have started scheduling a few "gentle" preschool activities with the girls each day. Alex and I have been going back and forth on whether to homeschool, and for now we have decided to go for it. I'm not really in favor of pushing academics too soon, so mostly what we are doing are crafts, coloring, puzzles, games in the yard, etc.

I'm not much of a schedule person when it comes to my kids, so I had hesitated to actually write stuff down, but it has been really good for them, and for me to. I start out the day with some purpose, knowing what activities we want to do, and it's perfect for those in between times when someone is grumpy and a well-timed activity can save the day.

I've even been inspired to reorganize our craft materials and games to form a little school corner. In the photos you can see our littel table set for a tea party with shelves in the back, and Princess proudly displaying an "A" she drew herself in cornmeal.

Proof of how much Princess has been enjoying these simple activities was today, when a friend came to visit. The first thing she did was to hurry her over to look at her school corner. Her favorite request is, "I want to do something!"

The other benefit is that I am feeling out what a homeschooling day will look like, and enjoying the process. I still haven't decided whether we will do anything more organized next year. I think we will wait and see.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario